Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The Pursuit of Simplicity


Simple is not something, which is easy, quick, and suitable for everyone. It’s also not something that can be done without experience or much thought. Simplicity is something, which has to be gained, it may appear clear-cut, but what’s hidden is the labor of love required to gain refinement. It’s only simple because the excess is laboriously removed, all extraneous detail is absent so that what remains speaks clearly to everyone.

I often speak about the simple – simple ideas, beliefs, actions, the simple life. Just last week a coworker said to me “every thing is so simple for you”. I realize that they may not have meant it as a compliment, yet I know that to achieve the apparently simple, I had to go through a process of refinement to get to that point.

Therein lies the beauty of simplistic for me. Being honed, detailed, and worked on until it becomes what it is supposed to be or accomplish. Achieving this has often been hard, and complicated; some times it has been pleasurable and easy. I hope that the people I know realize that when I set upon the simple it is with much thought, intent, and and love.

After all a simple walk in the park with a loved one, may have come at a great price.

No comments: