Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Dammit the Dog


I read a funny story that I thought I would share with you, so if you are busy or have better things to be doing, by all means 'keep on moving on'.


At the top of this particular article is a picture of the perfect golden short hair retriever, sporting the typical red collar, looking every bit like the quintessential happy go lucky dog.

In the first line of the article the reader learns the dogs name "Dammit", Now I naturally thought that this was the name the dog obtained after the owner realized that this is what the dog had engrained in it's head after the puppy months, but was wrong, indeed this pup had been called Dammit from day one.

He, (the owner) thought it would be the perfect expletive to yell in a dog park during a lively game of fetch.

"Dammit, SIT."

"Get over here, Dammit."

"Dammit, find the ball, Dammit."

"Dammit, it's over there."

"Dammit, don't eat that"

"Dammit, Dammit, Dammit".

I could see the good soccer mothers shooting glances of disapproval as they raced to cover their children's ears. The elderly ladies with their pugs, and poodles cutting a wide path to get around the overly aggressive pet owner.

The story was mostly devoted to Dammit. He was entertained with simple things, and though it could be argued that he was not the most intelligence, Dammit was was a good dog with a big heart.

What struck me most ironic about this story was the name of my dog UNO and the reaction people have when I call him; I particularly notice a 'keep your distance' look on elderly women faces when I walk or play with UNO.

Of course I always thought people naturally shied away from the lively personality of UNO, but over time I would notice that they would pat UNO on the head, or shoot him approving glances when they thought I wasn't paying attention.

The truth was people felt sorry for him, " why would they feel sorry to the most spoiled dog in the world"?

It's all about " What's In A Name"; See, UNO sounds an awful lot like "NO", this is why people feel sorry for him, they think I am yelling


NO treat,

NO ball,

NO drink,

NO fetch,

NO run, NO, NO.

The funniest thing of all is UNO has this all figure out, he knows if he acts all pathetic and hangs his head low, that he gets extra attention from people, and the occasional treat.

I think next dog I get I will name it "Dammit", at least it'll be obvious.

No comments: