Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Turning Inward







I’ve had a flood of web inquires about my humble Humboldt home; the vast majority of the questions have to do with the interior spaces of the house. It is kind of ironic because this is the simplest part of the house, but may be to most people that’s what makes it interesting.
The inside of my home is really basic, which is really what I want. Downstairs I have one room, which seems really large to me, with a mechanical closet and a washer/dryer closet. I will be using this room as a hobby room and for a place for people to congregate when I have barbeques.
Upstairs is an open floor plan. The living area and kitchen area are one and the same. The bathroom has it’s own space. The Items that really set the room off are the use of materials. I’ve used a lot of the reclaimed wood in the space, the Purlins, the pony wall in the stairwell opening, a column in the bathroom partition wall, and the door and window jams. I was able to recover some very old French doors that were curiously diminutive; I turned these doors into a French window that will open to let plenty of fresh air into the space. The simplicity of the space works because of the quality of materials, the solid plank floors, the size and selection of the finish materials, the thoughtful selection of fixtures. Every item is thought out, measured, and scaled for the space.

No comments: