Friday, January 19, 2007

Tidy, Tight, Thoughtful



When designing a tiny home a lot of extra thought has to go into the design and placement of the MP&E's (Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing). There are a limited amount of producers that make elements for a small home, and the items that exist tend to be over-priced, so I've had to develop detailed schematics for the careful placement of items that were designed for houses much larger than mine. The one exception I've made is the heater, I spent the cash and got a super efficient small heater to keep me warm on cold winter nights. On the surface this seems like a simple issue of planning, but remember that developers and engineers around the world spend billions of dollars on squeezing technology into tiny little boxes. I've had to think about the value of each item, and make choices on is function. I keep in mind my belief that "excess is immoral" and is the particular piece of technology worth having, or do I have to expend too much effort and resources to keep that technology; It is surprising how easy it is to live without something you really don't need.

No comments: